LOCK DOWN BROWSER HOME PAGE
(contributed by David Chernicoff, email@example.com)
I needed to set up some public computers for Web browsing, and I
wanted the home page for all the browsers to point to our corporate
page. I performed the following steps to lock down the browser home
1. Launch regedt32.
2. Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft.
3. Create the key Internet Explorer.
4. Open the Internet Explorer key and create a key called Control
Panel, so you end up with
Panel. This key might already exist.
5. Add a REG_DWORD named HomePage and set its value to 1. This
change disables the home page controls.
6. Other valid REG_DWORD entries that you can add include Advanced,
which controls the Advanced tab check boxes; Cach, which controls the
Setting button; and History, which lets you disable the History
Bandwith can be calculated by multiplying the number of bytes per second by 12, which is 8 bits & 4 bits, and by dividing it by 1,048,576, which is 1024 * 1024. Each byte consists of 8 bits. Additionally you should allow four more bitss per byte for protocol overhead.